Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Why I don't fit the Home School MOLD!

When I decided to home school, I got a lot of raised eye brows. I assume it is because of the odd families that have been highlighted on TV specials or things they have heard about over the years. For the last 3 years I have attended a great home school conference where I have gotten a lot of great materials, inspiration and direction. This year was a little different.

I called my husband on the way home from my 3 days away at the conference. "I will not be coming back", I said. He responded with an interested ear, "What happened?" I had the hardest time getting out my thoughts and why I had such an odd feeling. This does not mean I will never attend another, but I will not be put in that situation again.


Why I will not be going back:

Reason #1
I was made to feel like dressing up, wearing make-up and jewelry that I enjoy is less holy than the ladies walking around me with floor length skirts and tennis shoes. To each her own, but I enjoy fashion as well as homeschooling my children. This has nothing to do with whether I am a real Christian or home schooler. 

Reason #2
I am not taking a vow of poverty just because I am a homeschooler. I serve a God that supplies my needs and desires. Deciding to barely get by is not the gospel I subscribe to. Am I a wealthy, big spender? No. I also am not a penny pincher. I enjoy nice things and I enjoy blessing my children with them as well. I will not be made to feel guilty for that. I teach and model godly principles for my children and I home school them for many reasons that include my religious beliefs.

Reason #3
I am black. You may say, "So What?" In the world of home schooling, black stay- at-home mom's are not common. Of those that do stay home, home schooling your children is even more uncommon in the African American Culture. Although, the numbers are on the rise in recent years. When I join home school groups, classes, etc, my family is always the only black family involved. I teach my children to be confident in who they are so that we don't deal with too many issues. In these circles, we are usually treated well, but there is always a level of curiosity that we get from others that can feel a bit uncomfortable. In Black circles we are considered weird, religious, helicopter parents. It is what it is! It does not bother me enough to change what we are doing.

Reason #4
I refuse to treat people who send their kids to public or private school like they are negligent parents. The theme with a lot of the circles I have explored is that home schooling is the only way and that if you don't, you don't care as much about your kids as I do. That is simply not true! I am a supporter of any parent that gets involved in their child's education and advocates for the very best whether it is homeschooling, private or public schooling. Home schooling was our choice. It works for OUR family very well and we love it. That does not mean it is for everyone.

So, in many ways I do not fit into the "homeschool mold". I am still very passionate about my convictions, my God and homeschooling my children. The next time you run into a homeschooler that does not fit "the mold", be nice. After all, we all want the same things for our children right? To raise God fearing, God serving, well-rounded and educated children who accomplish God's perfect plan for their life. Right?








1 comment:

  1. I don't fit the "mold" much either so I totally relate. I'm sorry you had bad luck at your convention as we have had a great time at the conventions we have attended. Though I definitely don't subscribe to ALL the ways of everyone at the conventions, I just do my thing and our family enjoys the time to see the resources, find new things, and I have plenty of public and private school friends who accept my alternatives and I accept theirs. I definitely agree that homeschooling isn't for everyone. I hope that you have the opportunity to attend a regional convention or at least another convention where you may find you are not such a minority because you do not fit the mold, I know I ran into many that were not the stereotypical (clique) homeschoolers.

    ReplyDelete